Good morning, readers! Today is Thursday, May 23. Weather in the Glendale area will reach a high of 73 degrees and a low of 59, National Weather Service.
In the news from your area:
- Glendale police have arrested a 62-year-old Los Angeles man for felony financial elder abuse in relation to an alleged lottery phone scam.
- Los Angeles County officials and advocates for immigrant communities are hoping a recent change in state law will help them recruit more bilingual poll workers for the upcoming primary election.
- Burbank firefighters knocked down a house fire on Thursday morning that caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to a single-story home and claimed the life of a pet cat, authorities said.
- Members of the La Cañada Flintridge City Council were updated Monday by a Caltrans representative on the status of the 210 (Foothill) Freeway Pavement Rehabilitation Project, a three-year, $148.5-million construction effort that will begin in October.
- The five Glendale City Council hopefuls gathered at another candidate forum Thursday and each was asked a different question with topics ranging from public safety to bettering lines of communication between city hall and residents.
- Glendale school officials estimate they will receive $16.1 million more from the state for the 2014-15 school year, and plan to add 12 full-time educators across its middle schools and high schools.