Good morning, 818 readers! Today is Thursday, February 26, 2014. Rain is expected to continue today, and temperatures will reach a high of 64 degrees and a low of 52 degrees.
Here's our roundup of the top headlines in the area:
- A concerned residents group filed a lawsuit this week asking a Los Angeles County judge to force Glendale to stop transferring tens of millions of dollars from its utility to the city’s coffers and return $90 million it had shifted from one fund to another since 2010.
- The last defendant in a saga of more than four years involving the torture and kidnapping of two loan modification agents in Glendale was sentenced Wednesday to six years in state prison.
- Authorities were investigating a body found on the Foothill (210) Freeway in Pasadena early Wednesday. The victim, who was not immediately identified, was discovered in the roadway about 3 a.m. on the westbound 210 Freeway at Windsor Avenue, California Highway Patrol Francisco Villalobos told the Los Angeles Times.
- The Kepler mission, developed at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Cañada Flintridge, has discovered 715 new planets, NASA announced Wednesday.
- In City Council chambers packed with about 100 people, Glendale council members said they were not fazed by a lawsuit filed last week in federal district court asking a judge to remove a city statue honoring women victimized by the Japanese Army during World War II.