Good morning, 818 readers. Today is Tuesday, July 8, 2014. The high predicted for Glendale is 87 and low of 67, according to National Weather Service experts.
Your top regional news:
- Nearly 100 protesters arrived at the grand opening of Hobby Lobby in Burbank on Monday. The Green family, which owns the craft chain, argued that forcing the company to provide IUDs and the so-called morning after pill -- a requirement under the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare -- went against its evangelical Christian beliefs, as they believe such treatments are tantamount to abortion. The U.S. Supreme Court sided with the store, which held a soft opening in Burbank last Friday, and has gained attention from local activists.
- A Glendale man arrested for allegedly injuring his father in a stabbing at their family home last week was identified by police Monday as 28-year-old Nicholas Rowe.
- A 38-year-old transient was arrested shortly after allegedly igniting a small brush fire in the hills above the Glendale Sports Complex on Friday.
- A 45-year-old man was arrested Saturday after he was allegedly caught looking at suspected child pornography at the Burbank Central Library.
- The New York Yankees acquired Glendale native Brandon McCarthy from the Arizona Diamondbacks on Sunday in exchange for pitcher Vidal Nuno. McCarthy, who turned 31 on Monday, could make his debut with New York as early as Wednesday against the host Cleveland Indians.
Follow Nicole Charky on Twitter: @NicoleCharky.