Good morning, 818 readers. The fog is anticipated to roll out of the foothills by 11 a.m. today, Friday, May 30, 2014. The high is expected to reach 84 and low 59 in the Glendale region.
Your top news stories today:
- A 68-year-old Glendale man was fatally struck by a vehicle Wednesday night, the third collision this year where an elderly pedestrian was killed, police said.
- A 49-year-old Burbank man was arrested Wednesday night after witnesses reportedly saw him choking a Chihuahua and slamming it against the concrete at Valley Park, police said.
- The Glendale Police Department reinvigorated its bike patrol program this week in response to new apartment developments that will bring more congestion and foot traffic to the downtown area.
- La Cañada High School parent Erin Meeker is putting the finishing touches on plans for this year's Grad Night celebration, a five-hour extravaganza to be held June 5 at Universal CityWalk. Many tickets remain unsold for the event, an effort to help seniors celebrate safely.
- The Glendale Historical Society expressed concerns over the city's proposal to drastically increase city fees related to protecting historic properties in a three-page letter addressed to the Council, saying the may be detrimental to preservation efforts.
- Roughly 30 people gathered in Burbank this week for a meeting regarding the local stretch of the nation's first high-speed rail that will link Los Angeles and San Francisco, with a proposed station just east of Bob Hope Airport in Burbank.