Good morning, readers, and happy Independence Day! Today is Friday, July 4, 2014. Weather in the Glendale area is expected to reach a high of 86 degrees and a low of 67.
Here's a roundup of headlines for today:
- Louis Zamperini -- the Olympic athlete turned World War II herowho was named grand marshal for the 2015 Rose Parade -- has died. He was 97.
- Activists opposed to one of the options under consideration for the completion of the 710 Freeway — a multibillion-dollar, 4.9-mile tunnel — have announced plans to march Friday in the annual Independence Day Festival of Balloons parade in South Pasadena.
- Glendale's City Attorney is reviewing the city's ban on living in vehicles, which advocates say unfairly targets the homeless, following a federal appellate court decision that struck down a similar ordinance in Los Angeles.
- Under mounting pressure to prevent the carnage in the San Gabriel Mountains gorge, Angeles National Forest officials are advancing a controversial plan to shut down Eaton Canyon above the first waterfall on Aug. 1, the Los Angeles Times reports.
- And finally, laws and safety tips regarding fireworks in Glendale and the Crescenta Valley area. Be safe and have fun, folks!