Glendale insect spray explosion

Emergency personnel confer outside a second story apartment at 4419 Pennsylvania Ave. in La Crescenta after an explosion on Friday, August 8, 2014. (Roger Wilson/Staff Photographer / August 8, 2014)

  • Related
  • Arin Mikailian Signature

  • Topics
  • American Red Cross
One person suffered burns and was transported to a hospital after a can of combustible fumigant triggered an explosion Friday in an apartment at 4419 Pennsylvania Ave., according to police.

At 2:40 p.m., an occupant placed a can of fumigant used for killing insects on the floor of the unit and activated it, but they failed to turn off either the stove’s pilot light or the apartment’s heater as called for in the product’s instructions, said Glendale Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz.

The spray mixed with some type of flame and sparked the explosion, which blew out the apartment's windows, but there was no fire, Lorenz said. Details about the extent of damage were not immediately available.

One person was taken to USC-Verdugo Hills Hospital with burns and was in stable condition later Friday afternoon, he said.

The American Red Cross was working to find temporary shelter for the family who lives at the damaged unit, Lorenz said.

No other unit was damaged, but firefighters did evacuate the apartment building, which was inspected by city building and safety officials before anyone was allowed to return inside, he said.