In the late 1920s, Kent Gardiner's grandparents, George and Emma Scholl, decided to relocate from expensive San Francisco. They chose to move to Glendale because of its lower housing prices.
Two men who grew up in Glendale read a recent Verdugo Views about Jackson Bowl, and both wrote to say they had youthful connections to the bowling alley.
Italian immigrants Tommaso and Josephine Bonetto bought acreage in the still-wide-open Crescenta Valley in 1905 and with their two small sons, Bart and Tom, moved into a tiny one-room, stone house already on the property.
A huge crowd, estimated at 1.5 million, watched Glendale’s 1959 Sweepstakes award-winning float — which had just collided with another float — make its way down Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena’s Tournament of Roses parade.
Harry S. Webb founded Webb’s Department Store in 1917 with a loan from his mother.
Fifty years ago this week, a momentous phone call connected Glendale's Field Elementary with an elementary school in our Japanese Sister City of Hiraoka.
Bowling alleys have been around in Glendale for many years. Some, such as Jewel City Bowl and the Montrose Bowl, are still here; others, such as the alley in Jensen’s Palace Grand Shops on Brand Boulevard and the Glen Bowl on Colorado...
For a brief moment back in the late 1920s, Chevy Chase Drive connected the Biltmore resort hotel in Flintridge with the elegant Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. The connection? A bus, a De Luxe Parlor Car Bus.
When Bruce Merritt, a longtime member of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, volunteered to research the church’s history in preparation for its 125th anniversary, he didn’t realize that it would turn into a multiyear project.
L.C. Brand’s custom-made Tioga Wolf has always intrigued vintage car buffs and local historians, including Arlene Vidor, president of Associates of Brand Library & Art Center. In preparation for the grand reopening of the library later this...
The young children had just celebrated their first communion and had gathered on the lawn of the Tujunga home of John Steven McGroarty, California’s Poet Laureate, to have their picture taken.
While browsing in an antique shop in Oregon last summer, a tiny, glass bottle filled with grains of rice caught my eye. I picked it up and read the label. “The daily ration for 750 children in 1 Near East [Armenian] Relief Orphanage is 40...
Glendale native Paul Ignatius, retired Secretary of the Navy, will be honored at this year’s Glendale Educational Foundation event as a distinguished Hoover High alumnus.
Meatball, the bear who gained fame for dining on meatballs that he dug out of a refrigerator in a garage, has brought Glendale another Governor's Trophy.
The city of Glendale is finalizing its 100th entry in the Tournament of Roses Parade on Jan. 1. The first float was entered in 1911. But that was more than 100 years ago, right? Read on to find one reason for the disparity.
The story behind Kenneth Village, the cluster of shops on Kenneth Road between Sonora and Grandview avenues in northwest Glendale, goes back to a time before those streets even existed.
Glendale's buildings and businesses were photographer Glenn B. Ward's domain. Not only did he work here — his studio was on Colorado Street — he documented the surrounding area as it looked in the mid-20th century.
Local residents turned out in huge numbers for the opening of Lon Bard's Glendale Theatre near Adams and Colorado streets in October of 1925, built on property owned by local businessman M. G. Khodigian.
Ruth Radwanski and her new husband, Richard, came here in 1947, driving from the Detroit area in a new Dodge convertible, a wedding gift from his parents. They bought a house on West Stocker Street. She got a job as an organist at a local church...
Sheldon Baker joined a Cub Scout pack when he was 9 years old. That was in 1945. He's been in Scouting ever since.
What do Glendale and La Cañada Flintridge have in common? Well, for one thing, the land that these cities occupy was once part of the 36,4030-acre land grant that was given to Cpl. Jose Maria Verdugo in 1784.
Piedad Yorba Sowl was a woman before her time. She operated a series of Spanish restaurants in this area in the early 1900s and, in doing so, popularized California Spanish food, contributed to the romantic "Ramona" mythology of Southern California,...
Bryan Ortega spent his early years on Walnut Drive in a house that is no longer there. His family’s home gave way to the Glendale (2) Freeway in the early 1960s, but before they moved, he and his older siblings made the surrounding hills...
Cindy Freeman has a very special connection to Bob's Big Boy, which opened 78 years ago this month right here in Glendale.
This column came about when I met Florence Virgallito at an event in Montrose. She asked if I knew about the Pat Navolanic Memorial Award at Glendale High.
Memories of her childhood came flooding back to Victoria Baima Mandile when she opened a package from her sister, Pattie. Inside was a stack of photos of Glendale in the 1940s, ’50s and ’60s.
Even though she moved away years ago, Barbara Berman Giasone still considers Glendale her hometown.
Robert Newcombe, author of the recently published "Images of America, Montrose," spent countless hours searching through microfilm trying to verify information that has been handed down to local historians for years.
Three houses designed by Nathaniel L. Dryden stand in northwest Glendale. Two — El Miradero and Ard Eevin — are on Mountain Street and the third is on Grandview Avenue.
A small notice in a 1916 edition of the Glendale Evening News informed readers, "Emil Kiefer, an employee at the White Store, is now working for Pulliam Undertaking Co. He intends to make this his life's work. He is a young man of great energy. He...
Back in 1924, when Alexander Nibley and his partners began planning a new development, they targeted people who were, even then, seeking to leave the increasingly crowded city for a place with more greenery and less noise and congestion.
Pat Mann was a loyal friend to many Glendale organizations. During the 1940s, she brought two groups together in a relationship that continues to this day.
For many years, the Miss Glendale Pageant was a major event in this city. The young woman who received the crown reigned as queen of the Days of Verdugos and also served as official hostess for the City of Glendale.
For years, Webb’s department store was a fixture on Brand. But few knew the story behind Webb’s.
The time was 7 a.m. The year was 1994. It was a Thursday morning and many who lived on Marion Drive on Adams Hill were still in their bathrobes.
In 1963, the city’s first lady, Cecelia Logan Barnes, was profiled in the Glendale News-Press by Women’s Editor Betty Preston.
Glendale's Prayer Breakfasts have spanned 50 years, and the speakers have ranged from unknowns to celebrities. One major celebrity was Pat Boone, who appeared at 1983's event.
One day recently, I drove over to the Rossmoyne area to talk to a couple who have lived in their house for many years.
Jane Hancock and her family moved to a house on Edmonton Road in 1961. “I fell in love with the house and the neighborhood the moment I saw it.”
There's an old saying, "a rose is a rose is a rose," and, with apologies to Gertrude Stein, I'd like to say "a legend is a legend is a legend."
Glendale played a starring role in the 1945 movie "Mildred Pierce," the story of a single mother who opens a restaurant right here in the heart of Glendale.
Edward Weston has been the topic several times in the 10-plus years I've been writing Verdugo Views. And, each time, the Weston name gets noticed.
Montrose, a 300-acre ‘planned community' opened Feb. 22, 1913 and more than 4,000 people showed up for the grand opening.
Ivan Forbes was in the audience recently when Beth Gates Warren, author of “Artful Lives: Edward Weston, Margrethe Mather and the Bohemians of Los Angeles” spoke at the Glendale Central Library.
Judie Estep, who was born and raised in Glendale, has a long history with the city's Tournament of Roses float.
Mention Camp Bill Lane to local Boy Scouts of a certain age and you'll get smiles of recognition. The camp, established in the 1940s, hosted hundreds of local Scouts during the years of its existence.
In the spring of 1963, Ruby Barnett and her husband visited the city of Hiraoka, our Japanese sister city that later became Higashiosaka. During her stay, she toured some of the city's parks and gardens.
There's a certain group of people who have a common bond; they were born at Physicians and Surgeons Hospital here in Glendale. Douglas Motley is one of those people.
When the United States entered World War II, the nation needed financing in order to build up its defense system.
The old house at 540 West Broadway has sheltered many people during its long life — first as a private home, then as a boarding house and now as Wellness Works, which provides a safe haven for veterans through a program called ‘Welcome...
The men clustered on the makeshift platform in the accompanying photograph are taking part in an ages-old ritual: the laying of a cornerstone.
The first time Don McDonald went to Grand Central airport was in 1929. He and his father watched the launch of the metal dirigible built by Thomas B. Slate, a local inventor who had developed commercial dry ice.
Many people around town remember the car shows hosted by National Charity League and the Glendale Motor Car Dealers Assn. But even longtime residents might not realize that they were not the first of their kind.
If it seems as if the row of car dealerships on South Brand Boulevard has been there forever, you're close. Brand has been home to car dealers for nearly as long as Glendale has been a city.
Glenn B. Ward spent his entire career as a professional photographer working out of a small studio in his adopted city of Glendale.
For about 25 years, Carvel Gay towed Glendale’s rose floats from Pasadena to a spot in front of the Alex Theatre on Brand Boulevard.
When Harry A. James died in 1956, his obituary in the Glendale News-Press noted that the chapel of Sacred Memories at the L.G. Scovern mortuary was filled with the many friends he had made during his career in radio, as a recording artist, and...
Back in the 1950s, the Glendale Historical Society honored several people who had made an impact on Glendale. One was a young woman named Vicki Manalo Draves.
In the fall of 1975, several refugees from war-torn Vietnam arrived in Glendale. They had been attending orientation classes at Camp Pendleton and were still there when several local church members offered them temporary homes.
Longtime residents of Chevy Chase Canyon still recall the Christmas season when Ruby Barnett decorated the service station at the corner of Chevy Chase and Linda Vista drives with Santa Claus and his reindeer.
When it was first formed, Oakmont League was firmly connected with the Oakmont Country Club. But it wasn’t called the Oakmont League. It was called the Oakmont Junior Matrons.
When Doug Motley was born in 1946, his family was living on Highland Avenue in northwest Glendale.
Two families, the Duncans and the O'Loughlins, lived next door to each other on Thompson Avenue in Northwest Glendale for several years. The two fathers, Paul and Legory, respectively, shared an interest in public service and gave freely of their...
Gail Marks left her hometown of Oak Park, Illinois on her wedding day in July, 1967 and headed for Glendale with her new husband, Ken. She quickly found a church home at First Congregational Church of Glendale.
National Charity League of Glendale was established in 1942 to provide assistance to needy elderly people. For many years they held fundraisers with a specific goal: to build and operate a retirement facility in Glendale.
When Legory O’Loughlin graduated from his Iowa high school in 1920, he received an unusual graduation gift, a trip to California. While here, he was attracted by the state’s booming potential and three years later he came back to stay....
When Burt Farrar bought the remote Sycamore Canyon in the early 1920s, he replaced the dirt lane that ran along the stream with a wide concrete road and called it Chevy Chase Drive.
Up in the Crescenta Valley, residents often see signs referring to Dunsmore, as in canyon, avenue, park, elementary school and even as in sediment debris basin. But who was the person behind all those signs?
Many churches share a similar beginning in which a Sunday school outreach program leads to the formation of a church. That's the way Chevy Chase Baptist began.
Tom O’Loughlin has many fond memories of growing up in Northwest Glendale and hanging around Kenneth Village, at the corner of Kenneth Road and Grandview Avenue, in his youth.
Jeraldine Saunders has many fond memories of growing up in Tujunga in the days when the foothills were filled with people who moved there for the healthful air.
The Verdugo Hills Sunshine Society was formed in the early 1930s with the goal of operating a home-like boarding home for elderly people of culture and refinement.
Ron Magneson’s family moved to Walnut Drive in 1948 when he was four years old, and remained there until they were forced to leave in 1964 by construction of the Glendale (State Route 2) Freeway.
James P. Beasom Jr. came to Glendale’s First Lutheran church in 1937, and during his short time as minister the congregation grew from one of the smallest to one of the largest Lutheran churches in the state.
What do the Civil War, a veteran named Henry Mingay and Glendale have in common?
Stan Germain was just 21 years old when he joined Elks Lodge No. 1289 in March 1949.
Back in the ‘40s and ‘50s, one of the most popular activities at the Foothill Service Club for the Blind was the craft program, which began soon after the club was founded in 1940.
One of the most controversial floats ever entered in Pasadena's Tournament of Roses parade was a flower-covered, party-hat-wearing basset hound labeled, ‘‘Havin' Fun Yet?''
One day in 1935, a woman took her very young son to Sunday School at a church near their home. The son has been part of the church ever since.
In 1909, a Pennsylvania couple purchased a tract of land in Tujunga and made plans to bring their family west, but the man died before they could make the trip. After several years, his widow made her way here.
Two generous people who spent their winters in La Crescenta, instead of in the Midwest, donated their property for a home for the elderly. Today it is Twelve Oaks Lodge.
Austeene Watkins grew up at El Miradero (now Brand Library) as the ward of her aunt, Mary Louise Brand. She married in 1909 and lived in Los Angeles, returning often for her uncle’s parties.
The group known as the Elks has been around since 1868. That’s when the first lodge was formed in New York City. Over the years, other Elks lodges were organized throughout the United States, and, as newcomers arrived in Glendale, they...
Iron Eyes Cody, who became famous as the “Crying Indian” in a 1971 “Keep America Beautiful” commercial, was active in Glendale's Boy Scout program for many years.
Many of Glendale’s neighborhoods were developed in the 1920s and ’30s, when it was billed as one of the fastest-growing cities in the United States.
George D. Stepper was the man behind the building at 220 West Broadway that became known as the Stepper Auditorium building. It later became the first home of the Verdugo Club, then gave way to redevelopment in the late 1970s.
Frenchman George Le Mesnager, who once owned the land that is now Deukmejian Park, settled in this area in 1866 and returned to France three times to defend his native country.
Stephen Packer left home at the very young age of 17, off to seek his fortune in the logging business. Eventually he made his way to Glendale where he became a prosperous auto dealer.
In the early 1900s, when the Crescenta Valley was sparsely populated and social events were scarce, women often gathered in homes, bringing along sewing to do as they visited.
This is the story of a man named Salvatore D’Amico, who was born in Italy, came to the United States and opened a candy shop on Brand Boulevard. The story came to light when Denise Hill contacted the Glendale Historical Society, seeking...
This year marks the 90th year since Glendale adopted a city charter and elected Spencer Robinson as the first mayor. Before that, Glendale had been governed by a board of trustees which had been in place since incorporation in 1906.
Harry Pryor was an enthusiastic cheerleader for any group he supported, so when he joined the Verdugo Club it seemed natural for him to take charge of choosing callers for the monthly bingo games.
Inspired by other French winemakers who had already come to California, a young Frenchman named George Le Mesnager arrived here in 1866. He set about acquiring several plots of land, including the large property in the northern reaches of our city...
Glendale’s Jubilee in 1981 marked 75 years since its founding in 1906. During the jubilee event, the city’s pioneers (those who had lived here for 75 years or more) were honored. Making the introductions that day was Carroll W. Parcher,...
The United States was only a few years old and California was still under Spanish rule when Jose Maria Verdugo applied for permission to graze his cattle and horses in our fertile valleys.
The year was 1956 and Glendale was in the midst of celebrating 50 years of cityhood with a special parade and other events when Irene Patterson and attorney Alice Moore invited civic leaders, business and professional men and women and...