Glendale receiver Michael Davis avoids a Crescenta Valley tackler and heads downfield.

Glendale receiver Michael Davis avoids a Crescenta Valley tackler and heads downfield. (Cheryl A. Guerrero/Staff Photographer / October 19, 2012)

SOUTHEAST GLENDALE — Martin Marin was wide open.

All he had to do was catch Michael Davis' pass to help pull off a stunning comeback and a huge upset.

Marin wasn't going to drop the ball, although he nearly did.

After bobbling the catch, Marin held onto the ball and sprinted his way toward the end zone to cap an incredible game.

The Glendale High football team shocked Crescenta Valley on Friday night, rallying from a 10-point, fourth-quarter deficit to defeat the Falcons, 20-17, in a Pacific League game at Moyse Field.

“We stepped up,” Marin said. “We're tired of losing. We don't want to lose to CV again. We're way better than CV.”

For one night, Glendale (2-6, 1-4 in league) certainly was better than the Falcons (3-5, 1-4), as the Nitros notched their first win against CV since 2003 and their first league victory against an opponent other than rival Hoover since 2008.

“This win means a lot,” Marin said.

The win occurred for a multitude of reasons. Part of it had to do with Glendale's resilient attitude. Another part of it had to do with the Nitros' resurgent offense. And another part had to do with the Falcons' offensive struggles in the second half.

Glendale trailed, 17-7, entering the fourth quarter because it had troubles on offense and could not stop the Falcons' ground game.

The Nitros had 183 yards and just five first downs entering the final quarter, although they knew they had a shot of making the contest closer.

Glendale stayed close to CV because the Nitros finally made tackles on defense.

CV running back William Wang had 177 yards rushing and a score in the first half, and looked like he would have another one a minute into the second half when Kyle Tavizon returned the kickoff 85 yards to Glendale's five.

But a four-yard loss by Wang, followed by a one-yard loss by Tavizon pushed the Falcons back. Two penalties put the Falcons out of field goal range.

Suddenly, Glendale had confidence that it could stop CV, which had scored two first-half touchdowns on runs from Wang (five yards) and quarterback Ben Rees (one yard).

“They ran through us in the first half,” Nitro Coach John Tuttle said. “Our tackling was terrible. Offensively, we were not executing.”

Glendale executed on offense in the first quarter.

Running back Christian Osorio took the opening handoff 48 yards to CV's three. Two plays later, he scored from three yards out to give Glendale a 7-0 lead.

But the Nitros' offense stalled until the fourth.

With the Falcons double-teaming Davis and plugging the holes that Osorio tried to run through, Glendale had to do something different.