Good morning, readers! Today is July 5, 2014. Weather in the Glendale area is expected to reach a high of 87 degrees and a low of 67.
Here's your roundup of local headlines for today:
- Between 20 and 30 protesters confronted shoppers walking into the new Hobby Lobby on Victory Boulevard in Burbank Friday morning, upset over a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that allowed the company to exempt certain contraceptives from employees' medical insurance on moral grounds.
- Burbank resident Roy Wiegand spent Independence Day running 86 miles to raise money for children battling cancer and their families.
- One male suspect was taken into custody after a small brush fire broke out Friday afternoon south of the Glendale Sports Complex, authorities report.
- Glendale Adventist Medical Center will close its children community center in Montrose next month, citing ongoing revenue losses it can no longer afford to endure.
- And if you didn't get to see fireworks last night, see photographer Tim Berger's shots of local displays at La Crescenta Elementary School and the Starlight Bowl in Burbank.